Connect with ProQuest
CultureGrams Christmas Recipe: Lebkuchen (German Gingerbread)
Lebkuchen (German Gingerbread)
This sweet treat is a favorite in Germany during the Christmas season.
- 2 3/4 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices; stir in nuts.
- Beat egg and add corn syrup, sugar, lemon juice, and rind and mix well. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Divide the dough in half and put it on greased and floured baking sheets. Flatten dough with moistened hands to 1/8 inch thick. Bake in 400°F oven 13 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and brush with icing made by mixing confectioners' sugar with water. Cut while still warm. Cover and store in a tightly fitting container.
Want to learn more about food, holidays, and life in Germany? CultureGrams—a leading reference for concise and reliable cultural information on the countries of the world—has recipes and holidays features for every country. Request a free trial today.