Five of ProQuest's research solutions were named Outstanding Academic Titles for 2007 by Choice magazine, a publication of the American Library Association. CSA Illustrata: Natural Sciences, Early English Books Online (EEBO), African American Poetry (1760-1900), Twentieth Century African American Poetry and Gerristen Collection were deemed "highly recommended" or "essential" by Choice.
"Having so many of our products recommended by Choice, which has long been a leading voice in the academic and research community, is truly gratifying," said Marty Kahn, CEO of ProQuest. "This honor affirms that we are meeting our mission to unearth highly relevant content and deliver it in a way that is simple and fast. Whether a researcher is looking for a rare 16th century book or today's sports scores, ProQuest is the place to start."
According to Choice, this year's Outstanding Academic Titles list includes 597 print titles and 49 electronic resources chosen by the editorial staff from the 7,094 titles reviewed this past year. These outstanding works have been selected for their excellence in scholarship and presentation, as well as the significance of their contribution to the field - often their first treatment of their subjects.
The following are highlights from the Choice reviews:
CSA Illustrata: Natural Sciences
"Its strengths include a hierarchy of search categories, e.g., options to search by Published Works or Tables and Figures, and to locate search results by All Publication Types, Journals, or Peer-Reviewed Journals…Overall, this database offers academic libraries unique content and an easily navigable search interface." - M. Burright, University of Maryland Libraries
Early English Books Online (EEBO)
"For many years, researchers wanting to use these invaluable collections had to seek out a library large enough to own some of the hundreds of reels of STC microfilm. The utility of having these resources online is difficult to overestimate, and EEBO has carried out the project in style." - S. Magedanz, California State University--San Bernardino
African American Poetry, 1760-1900 and Twentieth Century African American Poetry
"Together these two databases…now contain about 12,000 poems and cover the full gamut of African American poetry, from established canonical writers like Phillis Wheatley and Paul Laurence Dunbar to currently active poets like Rita Dove and Quincy Troupe. The sites offer not only the full text of numerous poems but also entire books of poetry by various writers." - M. P. Tosko, University of Akron
"…this collection provides a "definitive cross-cultural resource for information on women's history." It covers more than four centuries, 1543-1945, and includes over two million pages. Monographs and pamphlets represent 75 percent of the titles (4,471); serials account for the other 25 percent." - S. E. Marcin, Fairfield University
ProQuest creates specialized information resources and technologies that propel successful research, discovery, and lifelong learning. A global leader in serving libraries of all types, ProQuest offers the expertise of such respected brands as Chadwyck-Healey™, UMI®, SIRS®, and eLibrary®. With Serials Solutions®, Ulrich's™, RefWorks®, COS™, Dialog® and now Bowker® part of the ProQuest brand family, the company supports the breadth of the information community with innovative discovery solutions that power the business of books and the best in research experience.
More than a content provider or aggregator, ProQuest is an information partner, creating indispensable research solutions that connect people and information. Through innovative, user-centered discovery technology, ProQuest offers billions of pages of global content that includes historical newspapers, dissertations, and uniquely relevant resources for researchers of any age and sophistication—including content not likely to be digitized by others. Inspired by its customers and their end users, ProQuest is working toward a future that blends information accessibility with community to further enhance learning and encourage lifelong enrichment.