Connect with ProQuest
Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
Intro CopyEach year, in the month of July, we celebrate National Ice Cream Month. In 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as "National Ice Cream Month" and the third Sunday in July as "National Ice Cream Day." Here are some fun facts about ice cream:
- The first ice cream parlor opened in New York in 1776.
- Ice cream is one of the top-selling treats in the U.S.
- Vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor in the U.S. Next in line are chocolate and strawberry.
- The first ice cream production plant opened in Boston in 1851.
- Ice cream cones were invented in the early 1900s.
- The most popular ice cream topping in the U.S. is chocolate syrup.
- It takes about 3 gallons (or 12 pounds) of milk to produce only 1 gallon of ice cream!