Serials Solutions has greatly expanded coverage of German-specific content within the Summon service including millions of catalog items, journal articles and specialized repositories. German content expansion has been prioritized in consultation with key German Summon customers including Konstanz University, University of Lüneburg, University of Heidelberg, AWI Bremen (Alfred Wegener Institute) and ThULB Jena (Thüringer Universitäts und Landesbibliothek). Content expansion includes the recent indexing of the entire German library consortium Gemeinsamer Bibliotheks Verbund (GBV) union catalogue including more than 34 million German-language records covering valuable content from all areas of research including physics, science, humanities, and mathematics. Recent agreements to further expand German content coverage in the Summon unified index include:
- Bavarian Library Network (Bibliotheksverbund Bayern - BVB) – The Summon service will soon include metadata from the union catalogue of all networked Bavarian libraries of the Bavarian Library Network (Bibliotheksverbund Bayern - BVB). The union catalogue of the BVB contains more than 20 million entries with holdings records of the scientific libraries joined in the BVB and more than 49 million articles .The BVB Catalogue gives access to the titles in many libraries in the German state of Bavaria including very rich collections of early German journals.
- Lucius & Lucius Verlagsgesellschaft mbH (http://www.luciusverlag.com) will include their entire scholarly journal collection of 18 peer-reviewed journals in the social sciences in the Summon service. Content will be full-text searchable.
- The German National Library of Economics (ZBW) will provide metadata for the database ECONIS to be included in the Summon service. ECONIS contains books and journals from the fields of economics, business studies and business practice. In addition, ECONIS lists articles from journals or compilations.
- GESIS (www.gesis.org) will make the key German social science resources SOLIS and SOFIS available for indexing in Summon. GESIS is part of the Leibniz Gesellschaft, a well-established society for Social Sciences in Germany. SOLIS has 420,000 bibliographic records since 1945 with links to over 25,000 full-text records. SOFIS contains descriptions of planned, on-going and completed (in the last 10 years) research projects from the Federal Republic of Germany, Austria and Switzerland (about 50,000 records). These resources have translations of titles, classifications and indexes in English.
- WTI-Frankfurt eG (http://www.wti-frankfurt.de/) will provide key German technology and management resources for indexing in the Summon service. Founded in November 2010 by the former employees of the FIZ Technik, WTI-Frankfurt eG maintains high-quality technical information on science, research, teaching and industry. Products include TEMA with more than 4 million bibliographic records for the most important literary sources for engineers, technicians and scientists.
In addition to content soon to be indexed, the Summon service has already indexed several specialized German collections, including:
- Alfred Wegener Institute ePrints – are now included in the Summon index. This collection consists of more than 25,000 open access journal articles, conference proceedings, dissertations from the open access repository ePIC (electronic Publication Information Center) of Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, a non-profit federally funded research center of Helmholtz Association in Germany.
- SSOAR - Social Science Open Access Repository – a project of the German Research Foundation, content is now included in the Summon index. SSOAR provides free access to over 19,000 full-text journal articles and preprints.
- German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA) – content is now included in the Summon index. The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, a Hamburg-based research institute, offers condensed analyses focused on political, economic and social developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, North Africa, and the Middle East. The GIGA is the largest German research institute for area and comparative area studies. Content in Summon covers four scholarly journals, working papers, yearbooks, and global focus reports.
In support of recently expanded German content coverage, the Summon service will continue to enhance its German language search capabilities. The Summon service currently offers search and relevancy that is optimized for German language searching which delivers more precision for native language researchers than traditional databases and discovery services. Summon provides native searching capabilities for more than 14 languages in addition to search interfaces in more than 30 languages.
ProQuest’s Intota™ library services platform centralizes and simplifies e-resource management.…
With a wide range of content available, the University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras (UPRRP) was in search of an easy to use solution that would improve access and discovery of their library collections. After evaluating discovery tools for…
"It’s not often that a single event appeals to three of my interests, but the recent Jisc-ProQuest symposium on Early European Books Online (which took place on October 13) did just that." - Rachel Kirkwood…